Who knew a melon so heavy could make you so light?
What could it be… None other than the juicy and refreshingly tasty honeydew melon! Available all year round with health benefits such as its fat free, cholesterol free, and high in vitamin C. Goodness gracious no wonder this fruit is so popular! Who wouldn’t want to take a bite out of all that divineness?
We at Food 4 Less have compiled a few quick tips about preparation of this fruit. Also, some simple recipes that will get anyone’s mouth watering. Get ready to be amazed at the effortless preparation and heavenly outcome for the honeydew melon.
The Best One
Here are 4 quick tips on selecting the best honeydew:
1) If the skin is green, move on to the next
2) Honeydew needs to be just turning yellow or completely yellow to be ripe
3) Can’t be hard as a rock – but needs to still be firm
4) The heavier the better! That means there is more water and sugar content
Preparation as Easy as 1-2-3
1) Wash with warm water prior to cutting to remove impurities
2) Slice honeydew in half and remove the seeds and strings
3) Melons can be cut into halves, quarters, wedges, cubes, or scooped into balls (Melon Baller)
Simple and Tasty!
2 cups honeydew melon (cubed)
1 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons apple juice
Honeydew melon slices, for garnish
1) In a blender, combine melon, yogurt, and apple juice
2) Blend until smooth
3) Add ice until frothy
4) Pour into 2 (16oz) glasses
5) Garnish with sliced melon and enjoy!
Prosciutto Wrapped Melon Balls
¼ cup lime juice
Honeydew melon balls (1 honeydew)
1) Place melon balls into a bowl, and sprinkle with lime juice
2) Stir gently
3) Wrap each ball with a slice of prosciutto
4) Arrange on a tray and Ready to Serve!
Talk to us!
We hope you enjoyed these tasty tips on how to pick, clean and enjoy the amazing honeydew melon. Leave a comment below on what you thought of these delicious recipes or let us know how you enjoy your honeydews!